Paid for and Authorized by the Maine Republican Party.
9 Higgins Street, Augusta, ME 04330 Ben Lombard, Treasurer
© Copyright 2021 All Rights Reserved
2020 Maine GOP Platform
Two hundred years ago, the people of Maine adopted a Constitution “to establish justice, insure tranquility, provide for our mutual defense, promote our common welfare, and secure to ourselves and our posterity the blessings of liberty.” Thirty-four years later, the Maine Republican Party was formed in order to protect these principles. It remains committed to preserving the blessings of liberty today, that our great State may fulfill its potential as a place of abundant opportunity and thriving communities.
We therefore adopt this platform, which we dedicate to our military veterans, active and reserve service members, first responders, fire fighters, and law enforcement, to whom we are forever grateful.
I. This platform embraces principles and identifies actions to implement them.
1. We support and defend the Constitutions of the United States and of the State of Maine; they are the framework to which all legislation must adhere.
2. We support policies designed to help Maine workers, families, and businesses thrive by lowering tax burdens, reducing government regulations and mandates, promoting a vibrant private sector, and encouraging individual initiative.
3. We oppose progressive policies which tend to harm Maine workers, families, and businesses by limiting freedom, expanding bureaucracy, undermining civic organizations, and discouraging individual responsibility.
In order to define the specific policies encompassed by said constitutional principles, be it resolved:
II. The government of Maine exists to preserve and protect certain natural, inherent, and inalienable rights endowed by our Creator for the benefit, protection, and security of all citizens and future generations. To maintain these rights, we therefore pledge to:
1. Defend every person’s right, secured by the Maine and U.S. Constitutions, to freely exercise his or her religious beliefs, to speak and associate freely, and to petition the government;
2. Defend the individual’s right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the Maine and U.S. Constitutions;
3. Defend the powers reserved to the State of Maine by the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
III. Because the strength of Maine and the United States lies with the rights and responsibilities of the individual, we affirm that:
1. We support the freedom of Mainers to practice their faith and act in accordance with the dictates of their own consciences, not only in their houses of worship, but also in their everyday lives in the public forum and armed services;
2. We will protect the rights of all to freedom of speech, including on university campuses, regardless of the merits of the opinions expressed;
3. We believe the profits of an individual’s efforts and accumulation of private property belong to the individual;
4. We support the assimilation of legal immigrants into Maine society;
5. We support addressing Maine’s drug crisis through a combination of law enforcement efforts and partnerships with private sector organizations to address addiction and promote rehabilitation for the individual.
IV. Because capitalism and the free market system encourage individual initiative and a prosperous economy, thereby benefiting Maine workers and families, we support:
1. Promoting a welcoming business climate;
2. Enacting “Right to Work” laws to better stimulate economic growth;
3. Providing health care and continuing to protect those with pre-existing conditions through free market solutions that increase transparency, portability, and competition;
4. Protecting ownership of private property, which is fundamental to liberty and a strong economy;
5. Implementing a comprehensive energy policy to reduce the cost of energy for Maine families and businesses by eliminating government mandates, taxes, and regulations;
6. Eliminating Maine’s income tax;
7. Protecting the interests of American workers by mandating that employers in the State of Maine use the national E-verify system to verify the identity of prospective employees and their eligibility to work in the United States;
8. Promoting the ability of Maine workers and businesses to compete on fair terms in the global marketplace;
9. Reducing occupational licensing requirements; and
10. Adopting comprehensive welfare reform which offers a pathway to self- sufficiency and prioritizes resources and services for the elderly and the disabled, to maintain the safety-net for Maine’s most vulnerable.
V. The most effective government is closest to the people and the least intrusive, therefore:
1. Any federal ownership or control of Maine lands and waters should only occur with local consent from state and local citizens;
2. Municipal Home Rule is to be honored and respected;
3. Individuals are responsible for, and have the right to make, decisions affecting their lives and well-being; and
4. We support local food rights and controls.
VI. Education is the cornerstone to building a prosperous future, therefore:
1. We support the restoration of local control in education as specified in the Maine Constitution and oppose federal control of education to include abolishing the Department of Education;
2. Parents have the right and responsibility to direct their children’s education;
3. The best academic opportunities are made possible through educational choice among homeschools, private schools, charter schools, and public schools;
4. Maine’s colleges and universities should be marketplaces of ideas where any individual’s political and religious beliefs may be expressed and shall be respected; and
5. Maine’s public colleges and universities should be funded by a combination of tuition, taxpayer funding, and other sources.
VII. Because the family is the foundation and strength of a stable society, the government must not interfere, but rather support and protect the integrity and rights of the family; therefore, we:
1. Support the nuclear family by encouraging the birth and adoption of children, their care and support;
2. Recognize the definition of marriage as the union of one man and one woman;
3. Believe parents – not government – are most capable and responsible to make decisions in the best interest of their minor children, including medical, disciplinary, and educational decisions;
4. Believe in the sanctity of human life – from conception to natural death;
5. Support prohibiting the use of state funds for abortions or activities that run counter to the sanctity of human life;
6. Support faith-based family resources, including adoption and crisis pregnancy services; and
7. Support family friendly policies, including a child tax credit and an adoption tax credit, to attract and retain young working families.
VIII. Fiscal restraint and accountability for all levels of government is paramount, and should be promoted by:
1. Working to reduce spending at all levels of government, including federal, state, county, and local, in order to ensure fiscal stability and minimal debt for future generations;
2. Encouraging sound fiscal management to reduce the Maine tax burden, including fees;
3. Instituting zero based budgeting in all programs, and requiring the government and all agencies to adhere to the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
IX. The State of Maine should protect the integrity of the election process by:
1. Adopting legislation that requires an individual to be a citizen and have Maine photo identification to vote in the State of Maine;
2. Repealing taxpayer funding for political campaigns, requiring instead that political candidates raise campaign funds in a manner that is both voluntary and transparent;
3. Repealing ranked choice voting;
4. Rejecting efforts to abolish or undermine the Electoral College, including National Popular Vote;
5. Reforming the citizen initiative process, including requiring minimum signature requirements from each of Maine’s counties.
X. Moving forward, Maine Republicans promote the following initiatives and we encourage all Republican candidates to:
1. Sign the Taxpayer Protection Pledge, and oppose any and all efforts to increase taxes and fees;
2. Reduce the regulations and processes that have a negative impact and place undue burdens on private enterprise;
3. Ensure environmental regulations are based upon sound science and recognize the value of Maine’s heritage especially in farming, fishing, forestry, and recreation;
4. Support mandatory minimum sentences to protect the innocent and the victims of crime;
5. Support achieving effective and efficient state government;
6. Ensure that all state quasi-government authorities are accountable to the state legislature and the governor;
7. Secure the U. S. borders in accordance with current federal law;
8. Support enforcement of all federal immigration laws by state and local government entities and expedite expulsion of illegal aliens;
9. Support English as the official language of the state of Maine and the United States; and
10. Support ensuring that the State’s child welfare services protect vulnerable Maine children in their care, including cooperation with faith based foster care organizations, while also promoting family preservation.
Because the blessings of liberty can only be preserved by an eternally vigilant people, it is incumbent upon all of us to remain involved in the American experience of self- governance. Those of us who have united behind the Republican banner invite you to join us in this task and support the Republican candidates for office who uphold these principles.
May God Bless America, and may God Bless the Great State of Maine!